Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Redemption in the Medical Field

Last Thursday, I had an appointment with a nurse practitioner in Virginia. I have a recurring problem that has never been correctly treated. When I explained the situation to her, she shrugged her shoulders and basically ignored me. When she gave me a new prescription for my maintenance medication, I told her that I required a lower dose because I felt the high dose was contributing to my recurring problem. She guffawed at me and belittled my opinion. When I started explaining the dosage scales and what is appropriate, she became very offended. I explained that I was a pharmacy student and that I wasn't trying to prescribe - just offer advice. She told me to take the medicine and try it. So I walked out of the office in tears because 1)my recurring problem was not addressed and would continue to reoccur and 2) the only solution I had to the problem was not addressed and I was forced to take a medication that I did not want. To make matters worse, when I priced the medication at the pharmacy where I work I discovered it was $150 for 3 months worth of medication. My inner resolve would not let me walk away from this problem without a solution. I called a doctor in town that I had gone to previously and made an appointment. The receptionist was so understanding - it was refreshing. Even better - she scheduled me for an appointment 4 days later. Today I went to this physician and my entire faith in the medical field was totally redeemed. He actually listened to my problem. And after the examination - he gave me a solution (well at least some medication to fix the problem). He didn't promise me a cure - but he did promise me dedication to fixing the problem. He praised me for my career choice and asked if he could call me at work for drug information. I walked away from this experience with new-found faith in the medical field and a new permenant physician. I will never settle for second-rate health care again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home