Monday, July 25, 2005

Employment...with Union Support

When I applied for a job at the cement plant, my application was greeted with clinched teeth. The gentleman in charge of hiring attempted to persuade me not to work at the plant. He told me how dangerous it was and how it was no place for a lady. As a firm believer that a woman can do anything a man can, this really pissed me off. I told my father to contact the union. The next day management finally caved and hired me. It was quite obvious that they weren't happy about a young woman working at their plant. I was the only female college student who applied for work. The full-time crew had only 3 female employees - all of which had been employed for over 20 years. It was evident that my young age and gender made them quite uncomfortable. In order to work at the plant, I had to complete a physical at their preferred walk-in clinic. At this clinic, the sexual discrimination was even more evident. The physician refused to sign my form saying I was physically fit for manual labor. I stood up and told him that if he didn't sign my form, he'd be facing a sexual discrimination suit. He quickly backpedaled - but still suggested that I work in the office, because (and I quote) - "Women should work in offices and not do manual labor." After this fiasco, I was forced to perform a "lift test." In order to work at the plant, I had to be able to lift over 50 pounds. I squatted 20, then 30, then 40, and then 50 pounds. This wasn't good enough. I then had to lift 50 pounds five times. By the last repetition, I was so tired I didn't think I could do it. The physical therapist told me that if I could not lift the 50 pounds again, I would fail the test and be denied employment. Totally pissed off, I lifted the 50 pounds one last time. The physical therapist reluctantly signed the form saying I passed. On my first day of work, I was discussing this experience with my fellow co-workers. Much to my surprise, they didn't have to lift anything. Being the daughter of a fellow union member, I knew who the union representatives were. I went straight to JG and told him what happened. He was furious. The entire union backed me and was going to bring a sexual discrimination suit against the cement plant as well as the walk-in clinic that I was taken too. In order to avoid a lawsuit, the company offered me a deal. I would not file a lawsuit and in return every one of the boys that were hired would have to go back to the clinic and perform the same lift-test as I did. I agreed. I wasn't looking for a lawsuit, I just wanted equality. The union backed my decision. I truly believe that if it wouldn't have been for the union, I never would've been hired by the cement plant. Moral of the story - sexual discrimination is alive and well in the 21st century. Silently walking away from situations like mine only stokes this fire. It was refreshing to see 150 men stand behind me and say, "She can do this job." Without the union support on this issue, I probably never would've worked at the cement plant...and missed out on one my life's greatest experiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home