Friday, July 22, 2005

Fraud in Charity

You may have noticed that the One Campaign banner that used to adorn my sidebar is conspicuously absent. Back before the Live8 Concert, I discovered the One Campaign. It is a supposed non-profit organization that was pushing for more aid for poverty at the G8 summit. Prevention of the spread of AIDS across Africa and parts of Asia is a cause that is close to my heart. I think this is because I am entering a health profession field and feel compelled to serve the public the best I can. With this in mind, the One Campaign seemed like a great organization for me to help with this cause. At first all they wanted was a signature on a petitition that was being sent to President Bush prior to the G8 summit urging him to increase aid to Africa. I also signed a letter sent to my state senators - Senator Byrd (my, and WVs, hero!) and Senator Rockefellar. I wanted to donate to the cause. Being the poor college student that I am, I was looking for a cheaper way to help. The Campaign was selling those rubber arm bands with "ONE" imprinted on it. I purchased 10, the minimum amount, for $15. I was informed that my shipment would not arrive in time for the G8 summit - which was fine with me. Then I received an email two weeks later informing me that my arm bands were back ordered due to high demand - which again was fine with me. The next day I received my credit card statement and there was a charge from the One Campaign on the card for the arm bands. Ok - this was NOT fine. Charging someone for merchandise that has never been shipped is fraud. I promptly notificed the One Campaign to remove the charge from my credit card until the bands shipped. Three days later, a "supervisor", from the Campaign emailed me to inform me that my order had been canceled and that if I still wanted to "help" I could reorder in 30 days. I figure they were never going to ship the arm bands and that they were banking I would forget about the charge on my card. What a crock! It's a shame that so-called charitable organizations have to resort to these tactics. It makes me leary of ever donating again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home