Sunday, July 10, 2005

Generation Rx

Like a good student pharmacist, I try to read material from professional organizations on a regular basis. As a member of APhA, I get a magazine entitled "Pharmacy Today." Slapped across the front page of the June 2005 issue (ok - so I am a little behind on my reading!) is an article regarding medication abuse among the nation's youth. I find this quite troublesome. The 17th annual study of teen drug abuse conducted for the Partnership for a Drug Free America found that several prescription and over-the-counter medications trailed only marijuana in abuse by teenagers. Of the 4.3 million teens surveyed, 37% had used marijuana; 18% had used Vicodin; 10% had used Oxycontin; 10% had used Ritalin or Adderall; and 10% had used cough medications containing dextromethorphan for a high. The prescription medications listed were not prescribed for the teenagers. Another survey conducted by the National Institute of Drug Abuse, which is conducted annually among 8th, 10th, and 12th graders, found similar results. At this point, I should probably explain the significance of the drugs listed above. Vicodin contains 5mg of hydrocodone and 500mg of acetaminophen. It is a Schedule III drug. Schedule III means that the drug has abuse potential less that drugs listed in Schedules I and II; however abuse of the drug is dangerous. Abuse can lead to moderate to low physical dependence or high psychological dependence. Oxycontin contains oxycodone in a controlled release formulation. Purdue, the manufacturer, so graciously made the medication extremely easy to abuse. See - if you crush the pill, you destroy the controlled release formulation and essentially dump the entire dose of oxycodone at once instead of the normal slow release over a 12 hour period. Purdue really doesn't care that it's easy to abuse this drug because their profits are sky high. Whether the drug is being used legitimately or not, they still reap the profits. Oxycontin is a Schedule II narcotic. Abuse has the potential for severe psychological or physiological dependence. Here in WV, it's referred to as Hillbilly Heroin due to it's heroin like high when crushed and main lined. Ritalin and Adderall are stimulatants containing methylphenidate and amphetamine, respectfully. They are typically used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder. They are classified in Schedule II as well.

After reading this article, I asked myself, "Why are kids doing this?" As a teenager, I never experimented with drugs. I've never smoked a joint, I've never rolled E, and I certainly have never dropped acid. I never really had a desire to do any of this...and I always knew that if I did do it and got caught, my parents would seriously kick my ass. So why are kids doing this? Personally I think it's because society accepts prescription drug abuse. Abusing legal drugs doesn't carry the stigma with it that abusing illicit drugs does. For further proof, just examine the federal and state drug laws. In regards to prescription drug abuse, the penalties are merely a slap on the wrist compared to illicit drug consequences. Finally, I can't help but wonder if the use of stimulant drugs in children isn't to blame. So many of America's youths are on Ritalin, Adderall, or Concerta. These drugs are hard core stimulants. I can't help but wonder if they aren't "wiring" the brain for abuse. I've seen kids as young as five on these drugs. And the really sad cases are the kids who take these medications three times a day and then require another medication to sleep at night. These kids have the deck stacked against them from day one. I don't think soceity sees the consequences of this practice yet. It's a relatively new concept - stop being a parent and start medicating your child. (Disclaimer - There are children with true problems, that probably require these medications. However, work one day in a retail pharmacy and then tell me if you think these medications aren't being substituted for parenting. I guarantee you that you will agree with me.) Where will these kids be ten years from now? Twenty? Thirty? If these kids are abusing Oxycontin in the teen years, what the hell will they be dawdling with in their twenties? It's a scary thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home