Monday, July 11, 2005

Why Meth is Inconveniencing Me

I went to work on Sunday to find that every pseudoephedrine product from our over-the-counter section had been placed behind the counter. Having been on clinical rotations for the past eight weeks, I haven't been to work in a while. Apparently in my absence, WV passed a law requiring all products with pseudoephedrine as their only active ingredient be placed behind the pharmacy counter. In order to obtain said products, you must produce photo identification and sign a ledger. The pharmacy must also report all individuals who purchase these products to the State Board of Pharmacy for tracking. The amount of product that can be purchased is also limited. Individuals can only purchase three packages, or 9 grams of pseudoephedrine, each month. This law was passed to help curb the growing methamphetamine problem in this state. Meth labs aren't just a WV problem, they're a nationwide problem. WV just happens to be following the lead of several other states that have passed similar laws. Ok...that being said - this is a pain in my ass. It's a pain for the pharmacist in me as well as the consumer in me. I am so sick and tired of being punished for drug addicts' actions. We're forcing the public to be inconvenienced to stop a few people from cooking meth. In this ever losing war on drugs, you'd think we'd learn that these people improvise! I'm sure limiting the sale of pseudoephedrine will not really curb meth cooking all that much. Now my pharmacy isn't just at risk for being robbed for its Oxycontin, now the freaking meth heads will come hold us up for our pseudoephedrine! This is just another injustice served on society by drug addicts. I can't sell needles over-the-counter anymore because of drug addicts. I'm sure there are legitimate insulin users who come to my counter who are out of needles and don't have a prescription. I can't sell them needles because our store made a policy banning the sale of needles without a prescription. Finally, as a consumer, this just royally pisses me off. I don't want anyone tracking my name and my cold product usage. I hold a license from the Board of Pharmacy; however I really don't think it's any of their damn business if I have a cold or not. Again I must state - legalize it, tax it...and stop inconveniencing law-abiding citizens!

1 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

Don't get me started! You are absolutely right when you say that we are being punished for drug abusers' actions while they continue to get what they want through other means. We have a nationwide hysteria about drugs that needs to end. Don't forget the most dangerous drug (alcohol) continues to kill daily, right under their noses. Meanwhile Ahsirt with a cold must be all but finger-printed before receiving her needed medicine. WTF?!

P.S. I got nothin' against WVU miss gold and blue through and through. It's a damn funny quote though, no?

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home