Sunday, July 17, 2005

25 Reasons I Love Small Town, WV

1. We still have a "main street" filled with little shops

2. This main street has 2 lanes

3. There is no hazy, gray smog filled sky

4. Over five generations of my family have been born and raised in West Virginia

5. I can be to the beach in 4 hours

6. I can be to the mountains in 10 minutes

7. Three letters - W V U!!!

8. Lightening bugs fill my yard on summer nights

9. I know my pharmacy customers by name

10. We speak when we see each other outside the pharmacy

11. Fall hometown football games (Go Bulldogs!!!)

12. I can be to Baltimore in 1 hour and 30 minutes

13. I live less than 2 hours from DC

14. We get four distinct seaons

15. Summer is riddled with church yard parties*

16. My dad still cures his own hams with our ancestors' recipe

17. Store bought country ham sucks compared to my Dad's!

18. At Christmas, our whole family treks out in the woods together and cuts down our own tree

19. My sister lives less than 5 minutes from my house

20. My brother lives less than 20 minutes from my house

21. My family roots are strong in this town

22. I worked at a cement plant to help pay for college doing manual labor - as did my brother and sister

23. My dad worked at this plant for 41 years

24. My dad's father was killed at this plant in 1962

25. Every Sunday, my whole family comes home for dinner**


*Yard parties consist of the church elders cooking homemade food, like pan-fried chicken, country ham sandwiches, homemade chicken noodle soup, and homemade ice cream.

**My parents had to buy a giant dining room table for these meals because when all my siblings and their families come home, there are 12 of us sitting at that table. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home