Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The Spawns of Satan...Drug Reps

I have met the spawn of Satan, and they are drug reps. These are the people that drug companies pay to push their products to physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, pharmacists, and other individuals in the health care field. The problem with drug reps is that they aren't physicians and they certainly aren't pharmacists. They're salesmen - no different than Joe Schmoe trying to sell you a new car. The only difference is that when the car salesman swindles you into buying the car, you're stuck with the lemon. When the drug rep swindles a physician into using their product, the public is stuck with the lemon. Today at the pharmacy I encountered a case that I feel is directly related to a Levaquin drug rep. A mother called the pharmacy and wanted to know the price of 9 Levaquin 250mg tablets. I told her the price is $117. (No, you read that right - I said $117 for nine tablets) She was understandably upset. She informed me that she and her daughter had $40 to their name until Friday. I explained some options to them. #1 - I could call her doctor and have the prescription switched to Cipro. #2 - I could sell her 3 Levaquin tablets which would get her through until Friday. The mother preferred option #1, however she was concerned the doctor would not switch. I reassured her that usually when told the patient cannot afford the medication most doctors will switch the drug. She told me that the doctor was very adamant that the patient needed this medication. Her daughter's urinary tract infection had spread to her kidneys and he told her this was the only medication she could use. Even after she told him she could not afford expensive medication and that she only had $40, he still stated that she must use this medication. I told her I would try anyway. An hour later she appeared at the window with her 20 year old daughter and her son. I told her to give me a few minutes and I would call. I called the ER at the local hospital and asked to speak to the doctor's name on the prescription. The nurse acted funny when I asked for that particular doctor. I finally got her to tell me that this particular doctor was not at the hospital today. So to make matters worse, a physician's assistant had seen the patient and used a doctor's prescription pad. Another physician in the ER promptly got on the phone. He agreed with me that the medication should be switched and was not happy that this woman had been given Levaquin in the first place. Sounds to me like the physician's assistant was prescribing what the drug rep had pushed. When I checked the price for 14 Ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets, the cash price was $46 - significantly less than the Levaquin. When I told the mother, she kept thanking me - as did her daughter and her son. I was concerned that the price was $46 - $6 more than she had. The mother had brought her credit card in case the doctor would not switch it. She was going to buy the Levaquin one pill at a time so that her daughter would have medicine. How sad is that??? It was really upsetting for me. If drug reps only knew the ripple effects of their fancy dinners and receptions... They never see the people that are directly affected by their greed. How do these people sleep at night?

3 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

Drug reps are extensions of Drug companies. These people go to pharmacies and doctor's offices armed with fancy looking studies that are funded by none other than the drug companies. Of course! They can most easily afford the studies. They depend on doctors and pharmacists being too busy to look at the actual methods of the study.

Thank God you got the cheaper med for that lady! It is no excuse, but a physician's assistant certainly isn't trained to pick through studies to determine their validity.

In lighter news, some states have adopted laws that forbid medical professionals from receiving gifts from drug company reps. Other medical professionals just follow their own code and refuse them on their own.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Axis of Evil said...

Unfortunately, the drug reps sleep very well in comfortable beds in large homes. This is the way of the world. There are unprincipled people in every career field imaginable and most of them do quite well for themselves monetairly - at least for a time. The only saving grace is that there are people like you also in every field. When I was younger in my field, I thought I could change the way of the world. I've come to realize that I can't - but I can still do what's right every day. Eventually, most people with no scruples get screwed by the the unscrupulous people they associate with. Its all about Karma. Help who you can and don't hold your tongue when you know something is wrong.

5:36 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Just as an FYI. I went to a Canada Pharmacy site to price the Levaquin and of course you have to buy in bulk but 50 tabs for $249. So that breaks down instead of $13 a pill here to $5 a pill there for the same drug. The question is do you think the drug company is still making a nice profit at $5 a pill? Answer yes or they would not sell it there. America pays more for its second rate health care system than any civilized country in the world, and the sky rocketing cost of healthcare is costing our country jobs.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home