Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sorry, Not Your Residency

On Monday, a resident started at my rotation site. She and I have worked together before on numerous occassions. We get along pretty well. I get the impression from other people that she is not so easy to get alone with. I've never really had a problem. I was a bit dismayed when she started at my rotation site. During the interview process, I was certain that I wanted her residency position. She keeps telling me, "just wait until next year" and, "wait until you're in my shoes next year." I haven't the heart to tell her that her residency is my second choice, and I'll be pretty disappointed if I get placed there. My preceptor has picked up on this atmosphere and keeps assuring her that I may have chose another residency. Next Wednesday is the day I find out my placement. Thank God I'm off on Wednesdays and don't have to share my results with her until I have prepared a response.

As my final rotation draws closer to the end, I am left with mixed feelings. I have really enjoyed this rotation. I really like my preceptor, absolutely love the office staff, and have grown quite attached to a few of my patients. Today, "Scooter" was back to have his blood checked. He was recently started on an antibiotic, so he's coming back again next Friday for a blood check. Next Friday is my last day. I told him that it was such a treat to have him as a patient on my last day...and he cried. Tears rolled down his cheeks as he told me that I couldn't go because I was his bestest friend. That broke my heart - and my preceptor's. Whenever I see his name on the patient list, it brightens my day. He's always such a joy to have in the office. His mental disability does not hinder him in his accomplishments. He truly has touched my heart. Hopefully next Friday, I won't be the one with tears in my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home