Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Dextrose = Sugar???


Today was the day from Hell - and that may be an understatement. Let's put it this way - tonight after work, I purchased a 14 day supply of Prilosec OTC to prevent a repeat performance of gastritis. Today started at 9:00 with my ICARE lab. I gave a 20 minute presentation on a patient with metastatic breast cancer. I then had to answer stupid questions from a girl in my group who is an idiot to say the least. Allow me to illustrate. Her patient had viral gastroenteritis and a blood sugar level of 200. For hydration, she gave the patient D5W (5% dextrose in water). Ok - NEVER give a diabetic patient more sugar when their sugar level is 200!! What a dote. But the best part is that she argued another member of our group that it was just "free water." He was like, "yea, free water with sugar in it!" The professor even tried to correct her - and she continued to argue. We moved on. So after ICARE lab, I trudged over to my 3 hour law lecture. That was a barrel of laughs. We spent 45 minutes discussing the ethical considerations with the right to refuse birth control pills (see previous post for my views). My blood pressure was running at about 190/173. Good thing Kit wasn't in class today - or we both probably would've gotten kicked out. The conversation then turned to Roe v Wade - which I pride myself in being pretty well versed in. The law professor was quoting it incorrectly. So - I told him how I interpret Roe v Wade. He told me I was wrong. It was quite evident at this point that he was definitely pro-life. He went on and on about how having an abortion at 32 weeks is no different than a man killing a woman and the child. The man would face murder x 2 and the doctor nothing. I say - it's a mute point. You can't have an abortion at 32 weeks! Roe v Wade prohibits that. But - he wasn't listening. So what can you do? I just went back to playing on the computer and wished for class to carry on. After law, I had my ICARE Musculoskeletal final. That was a joke. The first five questions - ALL herbals. I HATE herbals. Never even looked at them. So by this time, I sure you're wondering they the hell Motley Crue is hanging out on this post. Well - I took Roma's good advice and started to fight fire with fire. I dug through my CD collection and pulled out my Decade of Decadence CD. When I drove past my neighbor's house tonight - Kickstart My Heart was playing at full volume. :) Oh yea, did I mention I'm going to see Motley Crue this summer? :)

1 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

Well well well...it looks like i missed out on a lot yesterday. First things first. This stupid girl probably was going for the placebo effect on her patient. Kinda like voodoo. So please some cultural appreciation. For example, this very same person was in lab with us this morning and we were all waiting in line for supplies. It is apparently appropriate in her culture to push others out of the way while saying "excuse me"! It is also appropriate to drive in others' lanes (and lawns). Finally, so far as a certain law professor is concerned, I would say I am very sorry i wasn't there to help! Sticks would have been flyin'.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home