Sunday, June 05, 2005

Shocked back to reality

I awoke at 10:30 this morning to the sound of my smoke alarm blaring. I sat straight up in bed and froze. I didn't see any flames, I didn't see any smoke, hell I didn't even smell any smoke. I fumbled for my glasses and instead of running to see if the house was on fire, I mumbled a few curse words, climbed up on the bed and ripped the battery out of the alarm. Only after stopping the noise did I investigate to see if my house was ablaze. No fire anywhere. There was no way I was getting back to bed at this point. My heart was pounding, adrenaline was at full force. I even was experiencing slight chest pains. My anxiety was in full swing. I stomped to the kitchen to calm myself down. Thirty minutes later, I was finally feeling normal. I hate being startled awake. I feel like shit the rest of the day. This was the second "shock" in two days. I really don't think I can take anymore. The chest pain thing is a bit worry-some as well. On Thursday, I was briskly walking to the train and about halfway down the platform I started experiencing chest pain. It was sharp, piercing pain substernally. I had no radiating pain. I didn't feel like an elephant was on my chest. Every time I took a breath, it hurt. I slowed my walking pace and tried to slow my breathing and increase the volume of my breaths. The pain disapated. I was scared. I never had anything like this happen before. As a student in a health professional field, you would think that I would've went to the Urgent Care or ER when I got home. No - I went home. I thought nothing more of it until this morning, when my anxiety brought the chest pains back. I guess I should probably discuss this with my doctor. I think it's just stress-induced. There's a lot going on in my life right now and I think the stress may be finally catching up. Perhaps now is a good time to take up Yoga???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home