Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I Wanna Be a Pharmacist When I Grow Up

Today marked the "official" last day of my cardiology rotation. Technically it was supposed to end last Wednesday, however my preceptor's 2 sons got sick (1 with tonsilitis and 1 with a severe ear infection) thus prolonging my rotation by 1 extra day. Last Wednesday was my last day to go on rounds, and today I only had to appear to give my presentation. My presentation went very well - with the exception of one evaluator stating that placing my left hand in my pocket was "unprofessional" and consequently docked me 2 points on "professionalism." That begs the question - what the hell is unprofessional about putting a hand in your pocket? I wasn't picking my nose...or worse, my ass. I wasn't gesturing rudely at the peanut gallery. I have a tendency to talk with my hands, which some people find funny. To avoid this when giving presentations, I place them in my pockets. Apparently, I have been an unprofessional fool for the past 4 rotations. Silly me. Aside from that, I did very well. And even Mr. Professionalism's docking of 2 points couldn't cost me an A. I averaged a 9.8/10 on the presentation. After my presentation, one of my classmates informed me that I should be a professor. she noted that my cool demeanor and ease of explanation would make me an awesome professor. Teaching is in my blood - my mother taught for 33 years and my grandmother for over 40. It isn't like I haven't given it thought. However, I never thought of myself as having the gift my mother and grandmother had. Perhaps I was wrong... So now I'm thinking...Dr. Ahsirt, professor of pharmacy practice...sounds nice. We'll see where I land. For now I'm just going to enjoy my 5 week break. I have residency applications to complete, a research project to finish, and Christmas cookies to bake. :) 5 of 7 rotations completed...home stretch, here I come!

1 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

maybe that proffesor thought that you were doing what he does when he puts his hands in his pockets. He felt aroused and the only thing he could do was dock you points because everyone would have seen the exhiliration in his eyes if he had given you the full points.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home