Friday, July 07, 2006

Queen of Inputting

I spent my first non-orientation week of my residency training in the inpatient pharmacy. Monday through Thursday were spent renewing orders and occassionally filling new orders. Today the supervisor turned the flight deck, as they like to call the inputting station, over to me. I inputted prescriptions, flagged orders, discontinued orders, answered the telephone, coached nurses through med administration, and calculated morphine doses for patients in the ICU. There are still a few things that I don't understand about their computer system, but it is slowly coming to me. I think the hardest thing for me at this point is to stop asking for verification. I am the pharmacist - I don't need anyone to check my work. That's a hard concept for me to grasp. I'm pretty comfortable about the aspirin and nitroglycerin patches I sent up...but when it comes to calculating the mL of morphine the nurse should inject out of the prefilled syringe to only give the patient 25mg, I like to have a second set of eyes check the order. I suppose that's not exactly a bad thing, and I've been told that it takes a while to switch from "pharmacy intern" mode to "pharmacist" mode. I figure a couple more days on the flight deck and I'll be ready for my weekend staffing position. So - the residency is moving along smoothly and I'm starting to remember why I loved this facility when I completed a rotation there. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home