Monday, March 12, 2007

Oderint Dum Metuant

Today I started a new rotation at my residency. I travel to all the VA clinics in our service area and interview veterans new to the VA system. I figured most of the vets would be young; however I was very surprised. My patients today ranged from 26-89. There was one thing they all had in common - they all kicked me out of the examination room. Actually, they didn't kick me out. They were fine with me being in there to interview them, but when it came time for the physical examination, I had to go. Apparently this is the first time that the guys were so modest. The only guy that let me stay was the 26yo, and I could only stay on the stipulation that his pants stayed on. Fair enough. I was quite intrigued by his numerous tattoos. His ankle was encircled with "Veni vidi vici." I was impressed by the Latin. He had the requisite "Freedom is not Free" tattooed on his shoulder blade. The most impressive was the tattoo spanning from his neck to his tailbone. It went straight down his spinal column and said, "Oderint Dum Metuant." I asked him the translation (I figured if you're gonna get a foreign language tattooed on you, you better know the translation!). He told me it was "Let them hate so long as they fear." He then explained that it was one of Caligula's favorite sayings. It was pretty awesome. Residency completion count down = 15 weeks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home