Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Humbled - slightly

This afternoon, the 17 year old boy next door came to the door. By an act of God, his speakers in his car had stopped working. I was like "YES!" He wanted to know if my dad was here. I sent my father next door - thinking that the boy wanted some help with his car...not the speakers. Dad went next door and piddled for a while and then returned to have dinner with me and the rest of my family. During dinner the doorbell rang. I got up - and it was the 17 year old again. He asked if Dad could come out and play (actually he asked if he could come back next door). So...I told him Dad would be out to play after he finished his spaghetti. After dinner I sent Dad next door again...but before he went, he went to the garage and got that gadget that tests current. I asked him what he was doing - HE WAS FIXING THE BOY'S SPEAKERS!!! Can you believe this? My own father aligned with the enemy! So I told Dad that I didn't appreciate him being a traitor. Dad just walked out the door. I sat there wondering why my father would fix the speakers when I am finally getting some peace! When Dad got back, he relayed to me that he couldn't fix the speakers because it wasn't a wiring problem. The boy had blown a fuse in the amp that fed the subwoofer (there is a God). When I asked Dad why he attempted to fix the speakers, his reply was, "You don't know what it's like to not have anyone at home to help you." Good point. Then he continued to tell me that 17 year old boy was very grateful for Dad helping him and that he's really glad he has neighbors like us. Wow - now I feel like total ass. And to top it off - he promised to keep volume down when he drives by our house. Perhaps there really is a God after all...

1 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

I think you have known all along that your parents are awesome and would do anything they could to help anyone. This seventeen year old is nothing more than a lost soul. We all go through these types of times in our lives but only some of us have people that care enough to help us through or just be there to support us. I still think you should drive by his house with Motley Crue blairing just to expose him to some different music. I could very easily turn this into a political rant against the right but will not and just say go give your dad a hug.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home