Monday, September 12, 2005

Murphy Strikes Again

As with all previous rotations, the beginning of the final week at the XYZ was riddled with Murphy sightings. I arrived at the XYZ to see only one pharmacist and three techinicians. There is supposed to be two pharmacists and five technicians. I was immediately notified that JJ the pharmacist had the flu and called off (I'm more confident that Mexico-induced jet lag/hangover was the real reason for the call off). BB had back pain and CR (the new technician) couldn't find child care. Ahh to be 22 and have 3 kids aged 5, 3, and 1.... CR is a great new hire. She's been working at the XYZ for two weeks and has already been late for work twice and called off twice. A great hire if I ever saw one. Murphy appeared again at 3 when the clerk who was supposed to run the register this evening called off. Add to this the fact that at 6:30 we had already filled 642. I'm confident that we broke 800. The cherry to the cake though is the call I received at 5:00PM. My mom called me to tell me that I should buy dinner after work because there was no hot water at my house. Apparently the hot water heater exploded after I left for work. I saw the monstrousity when I returned home...explosion is probably an understatement. The metal is cracked from top to bottom and blown outward. My dad went to the basement this morning to find almost a foot of water. The entire basement has to be remodeled. There are 4 industrial fans running non-stop in my basement...but there is good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance... HA! Just kidding - the good news is that Sears replaced the water heater free of charge and tomorrow morning I will have hot water to take a shower. C'mon Friday! Oh yea...did I mention that my preceptor at VAC has not returned my call? When it rains, it pours.

1 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

Did CR work for our store at one time? She seems like all the applicants that I get these days. It is sad that with the low reimbursement rates that PBM's are offering these days that pharmacies can only afford minimum wage employees to deliver and help fill prescriptions. Unfortunately that is a bit of a lie. It is due to the need to make profits at every level of healthcare that we have unsatisfactory help at all levels also. Everyone knows that the #1 controllable expense every business has is labor. Every time that many people call in, the pharmacy is filling the same amount of scripts just at a higher profit margin. XYZ probably likes it that the people they hire are somewhat unreliable. Obviously the people getting their rx's there are just too stupid to realize that they could go somewhere else.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home