Sunday, August 21, 2005

Working on the chain gang

The rotation from Hell is continuing to be the rotation from Hell. If it's possible, it has actually gotten worse. The people are much more tolerable; however the circumstances are getting worse. Basically, when I get to the pharmacy at 10AM, I am chained to the computer inputting station. At 8PM, the pharmacist on duty comes around and unlocks the padlock and allows me to leave. I'm sick of inputting, I'm sick of being used as extra technician help, and I'm freaking sick of not getting a damn lunch. It's getting to the point where I can feel dissatisfaction bubbling below my skin - even on the weekends. I plan on discussing my dissatisfaction with my preceptor tomorrow. I have learned more about pharmacy working at my regular retail pharmacy than on the rotation at XYZ. At my regular job, which I was at today, I input, fill, help customers, take doctor calls, get transfers, give copies, etc. Basically I do every task in that pharmacy except the final check - and that is because I'm an intern, not a pharamcist. The pharmacists at XYZ treat me like I'm a technician trainee. It's getting very old, very quickly. I've got four more weeks at the XYZ. If something doesn't change, I'll have carpal tunnel syndrome by September 16. Is there a Crue concert next weekend???

3 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

You are not their slave. You need to inform your master that you have been emancipated. You will not work a 10 hour shift with out breaks and lunches. Why have you let this go on for 2 weeks? Do you not remember your union roots? Just because you are probably better at inputting than any technicians he has ever had does not mean that you are to do it forever. If you want I will call Ken and pretend I am professor Ellington and get this shit straightened out.

9:08 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

I know, I know - I've let this go on for too long. I'm usually the first person to stand up when I feel I'm being treated unjustly. I think the problem with this situation is that everyone else seems to accept this as "policy." The other pharmacists don't take a break, the techs don't take a break, and I didn't take a break. It's always harder to stand alone. That was always a good thing with the union - I never stood alone. Tomorrow I am going to address this with KK and work this out. If I'm not satisfied, I will be contacting Ellington.

I appreciate the gesture on your part; however I fear the conversation would go something like this:

Roma - "Hi this is Professor Ellington and I need to speak with KK."

Technician - "Just one minute..."

KK - "Hi this is KK, how can I help you?"

Roma - "Yes this is Professor Ellington and it has come to my attention that you are not following our advanced placement site policies and procedures."

KK - "Yes...Yes I am. Who did you say you are? Wait a minute...is this Roma???"

Roma - "..." click

HA! :)

10:29 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Ellington sounds like an English name. I would say

Listen here you bloody bloat. You either treat my student right or I will cut off your nut sack and feed it to me dog. Now I have some fish and chips to eat and a few pints to knock back. Good Day.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home