Friday, August 12, 2005

Fly on the Wall

Ah, to be a fly on the wall... Today I learned that if you keep your mouth shut long enough, people will spill their guts to you. Today I learned that my preceptor despises his wife but stays married for the kids. He takes anti-depressants just so he can stand to be around his wife. His wife has made his 8 year old daughter anorexic. The anti-psychotic meds his daughter is on has caused her to develop ticks. How sad.... One of the pharmacists had a trist with one of the techs - the pharmacist is single, so you probably think it's not a big deal. It probably isn't...except he's 32 and she's younger than me! She broke the trist off when he wouldn't settle down. He reminds me so much of a guy I dabbled with a couple summers ago. MG was the biggest male whole I have ever encountered...but he was really good at the game (REALLY good). TT, had a fight with her girlfriend. Yes that's right, I said her girlfriend. Apparently it was TT's birthday and her girlfriend celebrated by going out and getting drunk with other women. Nice to know that relationship problems aren't confined to heterosexual relationships. TT's dog is a male. Apparently his favorite past time is nibbling his penis. She has told us all this - numerous times. Last night, he drew blood. Today was also filled with valuable lessons. Such as the bathroom orientation. If KK leaves the pharmacy with the newspaper under her arm, don't use the women's bathroom for at least 30 minutes. The men's bathroom is a good alternative. Second lesson and most important lesson - the public is cruel no matter where you work. Every retail pharmacy is the same, it's just a different company and a different crew. The basics never change. I don't think I want this the rest of my life, and I'm pretty sure that come September 16 I'll know I don't want this the rest of my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

You can not base a career decision on the bad eggs you meet at a factory like pharmacy. I know you will be great no matter what pharmacy field you choose, but you can not judge retail based on the customers of XYZ. I would continue to flood you with compliments on your skills and expertise but I will do that the next time I see you and explain why I think you belong in retail. When will I see you again? you work 3 or 4 Sundays from now???

1:12 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

I actually work one week from this Sunday, so :-p to you. The next time I work with you is Sunday, September 4 - which is 3 weeks from this Sunday (for those of us keeping count.)

To be honest with you, I really don't know where I will end up after graduating in May. I've worked in retail consistently for two years. It can be fun...and it can be a drag. I've never worked in a hospital before - including clinical or institutional. Washington Hospital Center really pulled me. The longer I was there, the more I liked it. I didn't necessarily liked my rotation - but I liked what I saw. The incorporation of the pharmacist in the health care team in an inpatient setting was appealing to me. I will make my final decision after completing my Cardiology rotation in November. You will be one of the first to know. I have to make the decision then, because residency applications are due the first of January. If you asked me right now what I want, I will tell you my heart is saying "clinical." However, I'm reserving my plea until completion of Cardiology.

PS - They don't let me take doctor calls or call for transfers at XYZ. They don't let any of their students do that. How boring!!!

4:12 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

I will be flying back from my new destination on Sept 4th. (Sorry, you get CF) Who knows when I will see you again???

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home