Tuesday, December 13, 2005

An Evening of Culture...

You know that saying - "You can dress her up, but you can't take her out,"? Well, that's basically me and my mother no matter where we go. Tonight was my niece's first high school band concert. It's pretty useless for me to go, being as she's a drummer and percussionist. She spends the entire concert hidden in the back row. Before the show, however, she came out to watch the jazz band and saw me. She smiled and waved...and it was then that I realized why I go. It's not necessarily to "see" her, but rather so she knows there's someone there in the audience just for her. I know her mother and brother go, as well as her grandmother...but I remember how much I enjoyed looking up at basketball games and seeing my brother in the stands. Anyway... The first song was the Star Spangled Banner. It was not like any Star Spangled Banner I had ever heard...and then the conductor...HA! My mother and I were doubled over laughing. I have not seen that much animation in a conductor since Bugs Bunny. My sister had to seperate my mom and me. This guy was on his toes, bending his knees, bending backwards, throwing fists in the air, shoving his baton in the direction of the flutes, etc. It was the most comical thing I've seen in a long time. I kept seeing Bugs holding the baton and the guy that sings turning blue and purple. Even my sister was snickering, but she did have a different scene in her head. She kept seeing Donald Duck conducting the Philharmonic at Disney World. She was ducking flying cupcakes and attempting to smell apple pie (you had to have experienced the 4D production to understand the humor). Alls well that ends well. My niece was happy because she had support in the audience...and mom and I laughed until our sides hurt. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

That Bugs Bunny was the funnist Bugs of all time. Everytime he waived his baton the type of music and the dogs dress would change. The dog in the little yellow kids suit singing a tisket a tasket a green and yellow basket while licking a big lollipop was hilarious and the dog in the grass skirt with face paint yelling unga boonga, unga boonga was pretty funny also.
I wish I could have seen this conductor.

1:40 AM  
Blogger ROMA said...

funniest

I can spell, sumtymes.

1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home