Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Celebrations and Congratulations

On Monday, I bumped into my preceptor from my last rotation. He also happens to be the director of the residency program at my university. I applied to this residency and a residency at a VA center in my hometown. When I first started the application process, I was sure the residency at my university was the position I most desired. After the interviews for the two programs concluded, however, I was sure that it was not the program I most desired. First the pay was a couple thousand less. Secondly, and most importantly, the work schedule sucked. Residents were required to work every other weekend - with no compensation for their time. I didn't think that was fair. Especially since the regular staff pharmacists, making at least double my salary, would only be working every 4th weekend or so. Third, I may have been required to work in a town almost an hour away. I toured that facility and hated it. It was like walking back into 1950. So, when I saw my previous preceptor on Monday, it was odd to say the least. He kept patting me on the shoulder and wishing me luck with my residency matching. I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't rank him #1.

The ASHP Resident Matching Program issued its results today. I received my #1 choice - the VA Center. I am really excited about the opportunity. I think it's going to be a great experience to say the least. From my rotation at this facility, I have met the staff and really like them. I absolutely love working with the vet population. The other residency position only filled one of its positions. Maybe now they'll reconsider their benefit package... But I don't have time to worry about that, it's time to celebrate!!! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

I agree that WMC just didn't have the goods. On the other hand, I feel badly for He J...This is the last thing he needs to have to do right now, what with extra recruiting and all...Greetings from your fellow VAMC resident.

6:00 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Agreed. I felt bad today when he sent that email out asking someone to fill the position. He certainly has enough on his plate already without being 1 resident short.

Congrats on the residency position. :)

10:29 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Congratulations and good luck. You are now officially part of the VA world and once you join you can not get out. It is like the Firm. The only way to get out is to become a scientologist.

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home