Friday, May 12, 2006

In Da Hood

Today was my pharmacy hooding ceremony. Reality didn't hit until I entered to auditorium to Pomp and Circumstance being played on a violin. The violin player was awesome, but it did make it sound a bit more like a funeral procession than a graduation procession. It was one of the honors of my life to have two members of the faculty drape the pharmacy hood over my shoulders. As I sat on the stage listening to our keynote speaker, I found myself transforming from student to pharmacist. After I was hooded, the Dean of Students handed out awards. I am proud to say I was awarded the APhA Mortar and Pestle Professionalism Award. The award consisted of a hand-turned oak mortar and pestle and a chance at $2,000. Being that I'm the poorest I have ever been in my life, $2,000 sounds mighty nice. I was sitting whispering to my neighbor when I realized my name was being called as the recipient of the 2006 pharmacy senior of the year. It consisted of a very nice certificate matted and framed. It was presented by the alumni association. Very cool. After a couple more recognitions, I stood to take my Oath of a Pharmacist. I walked onto the stage a student, and walked off a professional.

I received an email this afternoon from a professor who is currently undergoing chemotherapy and was unable to attend our ceremony. He addressed me as his colleague and congratulated me on my accomplishments. It was very moving. His wife was at the ceremony today and gave me a hug. She said that she came because he asked her to be there for him. He sent his congratulations for me with her. She made me cry. The entire ordeal that their family is living pains me so much. The fact that he was sitting in a room, having poisons pumped through his veins while we were all celebrating saddened me - and yet through it all, he only is thinking of accomplishments of our class. He's an amazing man. I honestly hope I can have his drive and dedication to the profession after practicing for 10 years.

Graduation countdown: 12 hours. So - here's to graduating and being a pharmacist. The next time I post, I'll have a few extra letters after my name. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You deserve all the accolades. You were the best student I ever had as far as intellect and dedication to the profession. If I just could have gotten you to let your light shine!

A piece of advice from an old washed up introvert. Don't hide your gifts!!!!!

2:07 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Thank you ROMA! :) I'm working on my introvertedness. In my practice sites, I'm becoming more extroverted...it's my social life that forces me to be mostly introverted. This is especially true in relationship-type situations. Your kind words are very touching. :) Thanks again!

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home