Sunday, July 09, 2006

Save the World Complex

I have been diagnosed by many close friends and family members with a "save the world complex." I agree with the diagnosis. When I used to work at the retail pharmacy, there were times I was tempted to dig money out of my pocket to pay for an elderly person's medication. I was with an elderly couple one day in the OTC section helping the lady pick out a fiber supplement. For anyone who's not had the pleasure of purchasing these products, they are rather expensive. Her husband carried their bread and eggs back to their respective aisles so that she could afford the fiber supplement. It was very humbling. When I relay these stories to my family, a common response is "Ahsirt, you can't save the world." I realize saving the world is a big undertaking...but is it too much to wish that you could? I bring this up because this evening I was watching an episode of Dr. 90210 (don't ask me why - I'm morally opposed to cosmetic surgery). However, in this episode, Dr. Rey volunteered with Hershey's Smiling Faces for a mission trip to Mexico. On this trip they view over 100 patients and select 40-60 of the most dire cases, of which they must have the equipment to help, to perform reconstructive surgery on. Most cases are cleft palates or scar removal. Dr. Rey, used to the boob jobs and liposuction of LA, had a difficult time dealing with the disparity of the region and the inability to help everyone. I think he developed part of my complex. I thought to myself that I would like to help with this type of outreach...but it would be very heart breaking to tell people no. At the end of the trip Dr. Rey returned to the boob jobs and liposuction, but he'll carry that experience with him forever. I have an innate desire to help fellow humans. Maybe that will help treat this complex - because I certainly don't want to be "cured" of wanting to help my neighbors...just to be able to accept that it's ok if I can't save the world. Saving one person is a step in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home