Sunday, October 08, 2006

Experiment of Faith

This past Thursday my niece turned 8. Axis and his wife decided to have a little family get together for her birthday. After my niece opened her presents, Axis asked me to attend church with him on Sunday. Immediately preceding the service was a discussion on Evolution & Religion. I agreed to attend. I will pre-empt the rest of this discussion by saying that my experiences with church, Methodist specifically, have never been overwhelming. As a child, I remember counting the ceiling tiles in the church ceiling. These tiles, which for some reason resembled railroad tracks to me, were an escape from the monotonous voice coming from the pulpit. I remember being at the baptism of Axis's son and thinking, "wow these tiles look like the tiles from my childhood church"; however, I can't remember anything else from the service.

Today, Axis picked me up and we headed to church. The discussion was awesome. Everyone in the group had a background in science (including a physics professor from the local university). It was like a breath of fresh air to be surrounded by people that echoed my beliefs, rather than confront my beliefs. Best of all, the discussion was just the beginning. The service was amazing. I was so touched by the openness of the church. We focused not only on members of the church, but those of other religions and regions of the world. We blessed the citizens of Mongolia, Afghanistan, and Uzbekistan. We were invited to join our Muslim brothers and sisters as they broke the fast of Ramadan on October 19. Since 9/11, this church and Muslim community have been working together for peace. I think it's amazing. The youth group of the church spent last weekend with local migrant workers. The amount of love and tolerance being taught at this church was breath taking. After the service, the Reverend remembered my name and wished me back another Sunday. I will definitely return.

I think my experiment in faith worked...and I'm finally happy to find a place that fills me with joy rather than a desire to count the ceiling tiles. Come to think of it, I don't even know what the ceiling looks like in this church. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

It's an awesome ceiling that the soldiers wounded during the civil war looked at when the church acted as a hospital. At least I assume that I am talking about the church you attended.

12:57 AM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Oh, and by the way, are you telling me that Axis is now not only going to church regularly, but an evangelical? Wow!

I was told by Randy we were replaced by a wonderful family.

2:10 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

It is indeed the church you are talking about. :) It was awesome. And...hold onto your seat ROMA...Axis and his wife are attending the membership meeting next weekend and are starting the process of becoming church members. These times, they are a changing!!!

PS - Randy said he misses you and your family. He misses your zeal. And, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it as well...especially on the heels of the upcoming election!!!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home