Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Democrats...the Anti-Christ?


For some reason in the past couple months, Democrats have recently been dubbed "Athiests" and "God haters." Where has this label come from? Right-wing radical Christian Republicans have been digging at this like an open sore since the election. Apparently, if you don't believe the Earth was created in literally seven days and that God made Eve from Adam, then you're going straight to Hell - and you're also a Democrat! I will admit right now that I am not what I would consider a "deeply religious" person. I have dabbled with Athiesm, Diesm, and other "supreme being" religions. I don't doubt that Jesus Christ roamed the Earth, or that he died on the cross. As far as believing that only belief in Jesus as your savior will get you a ticket to Heaven...that's one belief I cannot and will not ever buy into. I think there is a Supreme Being, and I think she addresses each of us in a way that she sees most fit - whether its Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, etc. Christianity is just a slice of the pie. Personally, I believe if Jesus or God is looking down upon Earth today, they are both disgusted. Not because we don't believe, but because of what we are doing to the Earth itself. We dump sewage in the rivers, we pillage the land, and we kill each other (sometimes in the name of God). We're rapists, murderers, theives, and liars. These characteristics aren't limited to Democrats - they're worldwide. Republicans want to rape the Artic Refuge for oil. Israel and Palestine hate each other solely because of their religions and what they feel is the "holy land." And don't get me started on killing in the name of God - I know that pisses her off. More people have died in the name of God than for any other reason on Earth. That's a scary thought. In my meager learnings of the Bible, I have somehow overlooked that part. What gospel lays out how God wishes us to kill other people in her name? I don't think any of them do. Supposedly the central theme of Christianity is love. If that's true, then I want to know where the love is! It has been my experience that most fundamentalist Christians love two things - money and themselves. They could give a rat's ass about their neighbor, let alone the starving child down the street. That's part of the flaw in their "right to life" movement. They're all about getting the child into the world, but who takes care of it once its born? These are the same people that as soon as someone mentions raising taxes to fund welfare they go up in arms. I say - put your money where your mouth is. If you are truly "pro-life," then start funding orphanages and foster care programs. Donate to programs that provide housing, food, and health care to the underprivelged in this country. Personally, I am sick and tired of being equated as an Athiest solely because I have liberal views on several topics. I was practically black-balled from my "professional" sorority because I expressed my disagreement with their politics. I am affectionately known as the "liberal Athiest." The most disturbing thing about that whole situation is that only one other member of the entire sorority was on board with me...and now she's blackballed too. So much for the "love" of their so-called Chrisitianity... Finally, if you are curious about what "religion" I consider myself - I'm sorry, you won't get a firm answer. I refuse to take a label - simply because I think labels are what got us in this mess in the first place. So if you ask me if I believe, I'll tell you, "No, but...I have a good idea."

2 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

I could talk until my jaw fell off about the hypocrisy of religious affiliates. Religion is only good when it suits them. So i'll pick on one group: Pro-Lifers.

1. A doctor performing abortions is a life in his 150th trimester!

2. Showing us pictures of aborted fetuses is not gonna change us..we've seen it all.

3. You want the kid? I don't see you shelling out for orphans (as ahsirt points out).

4. You think abortion is all that stand between a kid in a happy family? Think again. Poverty, neglect, and resentment wait for this little life.

5. How is it your business?

6. Why reject abortion except on the grounds of rape and incest? Sounds like punitive action against the mother and baby if I say so myself. If you are pro-life, shouldn't you be pro-all life?

These are just a couple questions for the droolers out there who aren't able to think past their noses.

9:42 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

First of all Ohshit, the earth was created in six days according to the literal interpretation of the Bible, but that is not that important. The point of the story is that God created and is here with us in everything. His Love permeates all of our being and everything around us. Whether you find God through Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, or Islam I do not care. I think you will find that the tie that binds all of these major religions together is Love. As for Right wing Christians they are no better than their hated enemy of freedom extreme Islamist. I believe every time we put an exclusionist principle out there as God’s word, we are wrong. We can not begin to realize the true grace of God. We can not comprehend how much God loves us and everything.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home