Saturday, May 07, 2005

Law Knowledge?

I checked with the registrar's office online to see if any of my grades have been posted. Low and behold, three of my ICARE sequences, my ICARE lab, and my Pharmacy Law grades have all been posted. I knew the grades from my ICARE sequences (they are only 4 weeks long and most were completed long before final exam week). I also had a fairly good feeling about my ICARE lab grade. I was a little worried about pharmacy law. I took that exam on quite possibly the worst day of this semester. Apparently the road down hill had not begun when I took that final. I got an A in the course. I've been pretty down these past couple days. Finding the "A" brightened my day a bit. I also discovered something a little shocking yesterday...and a little bit unnerving. My first clinical rotation is in Washington, DC. For a month I have been asking if I need an intern license from the DC Board of Pharmacy to complete this rotation. The experiential coordinator continued to tell me no. I read over the handbook last night and apparently it states in the handbook that if you are practicing out of state, then you need to procure an intern license for that state. Great. I start the rotation in eight days. Definitely don't think that's time to get a license. Trying to calm myself, I went to the DC Board of Pharmacy website and checked the law regarding pharmacy interns. This is what I found: "6512.1 This section shall apply to pharmacy interns who are performing independent,pre-licensure professional practice in satisfaction of the internship required by § 6502.1(b)(2) and (3) under the supervision of a pharmacist in the District. 6512.2 A pharmacy intern shall be registered by the Board before starting an internship. 6512.3 A pharmacy intern shall apply to the Board for registration as an intern in accordance with § 4001.1 of chapter 40." Ummm...that sure does look like I need a license. That's just a section of the code - it gets worse as it continues on. I sent an email to the director of experiential education and to his new assistant (I assume that's this professor's position - personally I think it was created because the director is a weebit on the lazy side). The assistant wrote me back an email that said, "I'm deferring to Dr. soandso." Great. That tells me that he feels we're all up shit creek without a paddle. To be honest, I didn't expect anything less. This has been the absolute year from hell and I can't think of a more fitting end - Ahsirt can't go on rotations because the experiential coordinator dropped the ball. How fitting...

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

Well, at first my heart lept for joy, but then I realized how frustrated you must be. I hope everything gets worked out over the next 8 days. At least you have the week off to work it out. Good Luck

9:59 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

The coordinator of experiential education replied to my email questioning my need for a DC intern license. This is what I got -

"This has never been a problem before. To my knowledge this only applies to DC residents (people who live in the city). The school will certify with the VA Board your experiential hours. I do not think you have to get a DC Intern License."

Wow - I'll be able to sleep tonight!

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home