Friday, February 10, 2006

Another Bites the Dust

Yesterday marked the final day of my sixth rotation. I bid farewell to the hospital I've been roaming in since November. It is a potential residency site, so perhaps goodbye wasn't forever. Although the beginning of my week started off quite comical, the end of the week was more somber. My bare-ass patient remained his spunk self, even offering to show me his bruised genitals. I passed. My other patients were quite ill and in no mood for comedy. It was quite sad. My preceptor has been MIA for hours at a time these past two weeks, and yesterday I found out why. He has canceled all other rotations, denied to be an advisor for practicum projects, and closed his Coumadin clinic indefinitely on Fridays. Needless to say, he's been away with reason. My evaluation was on level with previous ones. It included phrase like, "Quite frankly the best student I've ever had" and "Highly recommend her for any residency position she desires." I was flattered, as always - as well as humble. Every rotation I complete, I find myself loving pharmacy more and more (which is definitely a good thing). I was unsure if a residency would put me on the correct path; but now 6 rotations and several interviews later, I'm sure of it. Next week I can submit my selections, and I already have the list made up. I finally feel set in my future.

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

You should really look into coming out here to practice. You could become a Pharmacist Clinician out here and actually prescribe drugs. This state is so much farther ahead of the rest of the country it is like night and day. Pharmacists out here are able to prescribe and give vaccines, are able to prescribe Plan B, and also smoking cessation drugs (i.e. Zyban). The legislature passed therapeutic interchange last year but the Governor vetoed it.

I think you would make an awesome Pharmacist clinician.

1:02 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Thank you. :) However, you and I both know that WV runs in my veins and I'll never stray to far from its borders. It sounds like NM has it's head on its shoulders and has realized the place of pharmacy in the health care world. Hopefully, that model will catch on nation-wide. Of course, I'm sure WV will be the last in line because we're always a step behind the times. This is another reason I wish to stay in WV - to help usher change into our Pharmacy Board. With people like the Mayor on the board, it's no wonder we are light years behind in pharmacy practice legislation. Just walking into his indepedent pharmacy is like walking back into 1950.

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home