Thursday, January 12, 2006

"I Want a PharmD with Me Too!!!"

This morning, while I was rounding on patients on the orthopedic floor, I was greeted by one of the orthopedic surgeons. He was quite upset about having to discharge his patient on diabetic medications. I understood the surgeons gripe - he doesn't treat diabetes. If the patient reported the wrong drug or wrong dose, the surgeon could be liable if he discharges him on a wrong medication. He made me laugh several times when he said he couldn't even pronounce half the medications on the guy's profile and that he was pretty sure the guy's primary care physician wouldn't know how long to cast the man's leg. Point taken. When my preceptor arrived on the scene, the surgeon stated that he would love to have a PharmD see his patients. He thinks that every floor in the hospital should have at least one PharmD to make sure drug therapy is appropriate and dosed correctly. He told every nurse he passed that he wanted a PharmD and then he grabbed the nurse clinical manager and announced that he wanted a PharmD. The nurse clinical manager agreed...as did most of the nurses. Health care is grand when we can all work together.

Today, a second residency contacted me wanting to set up an interview. Looks like I have passed the Litmus test twice...let's see if I can do it again. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home