Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pissing Off the Feminist

I've been following the Duke rape case in the news for the past week. As with most things, the media is running the story into the ground. I can't turn on CNN without hearing this story. Number one - I hate rape cases where the woman's background is put on trial. The defense is trying to do that in the media. However, that being said - there are other details of this scenario that really piss of the feminist in me. I am a young, female putting myself through college. My PharmD is no cheap degree. In order to obtain this degree, I have taken out federal loans (consequently signing over my first born to the federal government), shoveled coal, pushed quarry dirt, and worked in two pharmacies. One summer I held down two jobs to meet school experiential requirements as well as make a decent salary (thanks pharmacy for the whopping $6/hour!). Guess what I never did - strip. I'm so sick of this sob story that this "poor single mom was just trying to put herself through college." There are plenty of ways to put yourself through college that don't involve taking off your clothes. Let's be honest - there's money in stripping. Men, God love there small, horny brains, will part with their life savings to see just one more set of boobs. I think this girl was accustomed to a life style that checking groceries at Wal-Mart couldn't give her. End of story. It was extremely insulting that the Rev. Jesse Jackson stepped forward to provide this woman with a scholarship to off set the costs of her college education. All this being said, she still didn't deserve to be raped. Period. End of story.

3 Comments:

Blogger ThatIsMeWhat said...

Nobody deserves to be raped. That being said, what one chooses as their profession (hopefully legal) is their business. Just like a short skirt is not a ticket to force one's will on others, so goes with a profession. God help our confused country.

10:19 AM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Your being a little dishonest about the whole $6 an hour. I thought you were willing to accept nothing. Maybe I misunderstood the word volunteer. As for the Duke rape case. I don't give a shit. It does not deserve national news coverage much less entire shows dedicated to it. Here's the full coverage it deserves.

Ticker-
3 Duke lacrosse players arrested for allegedly raping a stripper.

6 months later

Duke Lacrosse players acquitted, jury said stripper asked for it.

I'm not saying that is my opinion, it is just what will happen.

10:00 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Ok - so I offered to volunteer until my requirements were met. But when I was offered a paid position, it was a whopping $6/hr. And you always wondered why we couldn't find decent help... I could take $6/hr because I was working another job and only started at the pharmacy to fulfill experiential requirements. For someone trying to make it on their own, $6/hr isn't very much. It barely surpasses WV minimum wage. Other pharmacies in the area start their techs at $7-$8/hr. But enough about salary - seeing as I decided to enter a residency my first year out as opposed to making $$$$$$. ;)

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home