Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Humbling Experience

Last week at my hospital, the traumatic brain injury department held an open house. This particular department is relatively new at the facility, and I was really interested in their work. They work with individuals who have disabilities secondary to a traumatic brain injury. There's a lot of physical therapy and occupational therapy, as well as counseling and cognitive therapies. I was greeted at the door by a guy about my age with a cane. He smiled and welcomed me to the open house. After signing in, I was introduced to all the physicians, nurses, case workers, physical therapists, and occupational therapists. Finally, I was introduced to the guy who greeted me at the door...a young man who received a traumatic brain injury in Iraq. It was a humbling experience to say the least. Here was a man, very close to me in age, reduced to a Parkinson-like shuffle, dependent on a cane to walk, and totally incapable of managing his own medications. He was a very nice guy. We talked about the facility and his rehabilitation. He complemented me on my necklace, which he thought was beautiful. We both decided to be "daring" and try the neon green punch. He also has a bionic ear because his injury left him deaf in his right ear. His strength was admirable to say the least. He doesn't consider himself handicapped...but very lucky to be alive. Wow... I thought about all the silly things in my life that get me down sometimes, and I felt selfish. Then he told me that he didn't know where he'd be without the pharmacists at the facility. He said they always answer his questions and are so nice when they give him his medications. He thanked me for caring. Now, whenever I fill the medication cart for his ward, I smile when I get to his drawer. I know he'll be happy to receive his medications...and thankful that we all care so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home