Monday, July 17, 2006

A Movie for All Americans

I had the opportunity this past weekend to watch Good Night and Good Luck, the movie documenting the historical take down of Senator Joe McCarthy by journalist Edward R. Murrow. The movie was not only educational but also eye-opening. Being 24, I've never experienced the Cold War atmosphere. However, as I was watching the film, I kept comparing the Cold War era to the present day atmosphere. Now Americans are not accused of being Communists if they do not agree with the Government, but rather are called "terrorists" or accused of being supporters of terrorism. Post 9-11 those are harsh accusations. The Right would like all US citizens to believe that the Left is undermining national security and providing comfort to the terrorists. Hmmm...sounds like the accusations McCarthy hailed at Edward Murrow after being exposed on his nighttime news show. I found out today that I am not the only one who shares these sentiments. ROMA has provided me with a gift subscription to The Nation. I came home from my government job and unwound by reading the editorials in the most recent issue. In one of the editorials, Eric Alterman discusses the fall-out experienced by the New York Times after publishing the story detailing US attempts to track terrorist financing methods. He closes by stating, "It's a shame Joe McCarthy isn't alive to enjoy all of this." I couldn't have said it better myself.

As a side note, there are several bumper stickers advertised in the magazine that I'd like to purchase, but feel that since George W. Bush's picture hangs in the lobby of my current employer, they probably wouldn't be welcome...and may cause me to find myself on the unemployment line. For example - "As Bush lies and spies, our freedom dies." I can see the federal police towing my car away now...

2 Comments:

Blogger Axis of Evil said...

It is no coincidence that Good Night and Good Luck bears such a strong resemblance to today's atmosphere. It is a time honored tradition of Hollywood to address current issues in a historical context. Take MASH, for example. Robert Altman and his team led the head of the studio into believing that the film was strictly about the Korean War, rather than what it really was - a commentary on Vietnam.

The lack of independent studios in the early 1970's made production of controversial topics difficult. At least in today's society, independent studios have destroyed the stranglehold that choked out more controversial films in past decades. The all-mighty dollar still plays a big role, but consumers do have a right to choose what they want to watch. The First Ammendment only guarantees the right to speak, not an audience.

Ultimately, a film like Good Night and Good Luck can do much more good than a film like Farenheit 9/11. Sometimes, people who drink the koolaid shutout direct crticism of their views. However, pointing out the hysteria in a past decade is an easier pill to swallow. Maybe some will make the connection, and hop off the road to facism. Let's just hope its not too late...

10:14 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Hey Axis, well put. Here I thought maybe you joined a commune and left all the political talk to us rookies. I am glad to see you are still out there monitoring our rantings.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home