Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Amnesity Lights a Fire

I received my monthly issue of The Nation yesterday (a gift bestowed to me by Roma when I earned my doctorate degree). I admit that over the past couple months, I have not been as politically active as I would've liked. Yes, I'm still writing petitions - especially for Planned Parenthood - but I feel like I let my zeal go. When I turned over my new edition, I discovered an ad for Amnesity International. I ended up purchasing the Instant Karma CD and received the 6 bonus tracks for using my AMEX. I added the player to my blog so everyone else could sample the music and, more importantly, sign the petition. After browsing through the songs, I have to agree with the ad - John Lennon would've been proud. He would've been proud that a younger generation of musicians were using their popularity to promote a very worthy cause. I also think he'd be proud that this same generation could cover his songs and do it with such grace that you can actually hear Lennon's songs. I think my little liberal magazine and its ad have lit a little fire under my ass. I'm ready to get back in the scene - and for more than just Planned Parenthood. I'm a little peaved at the Democratic Congress right now. America voted for a change and I think it's time they stuck to their guns and tried to change course in Iraq. They backed down on their spending bill, and they cave whenever they meet just the slightest resistance. I didn't vote for this. I voted for CHANGE. I'm ready to stand up and "be my brother's keeper." Election year is only 6 short months away. I'm glad I'm finding my zeal again. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

very nice post--I need some new music myself and now that you are no longer promoting that other ohshit you listen to I may follow your lead. I too am upset with our elected officials for backing down and not sending Bush the same funding bill again and again like Edwards promoted, but this is what you get with career politicians and a Republican president.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home