Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Roe v Wade at 35

Today marks the 35th anniversary of Roe v Wade. I doubt there are many Americans who do not know the results of this infamous court case. Unfortunately, most do not know the principle of the case - or that a similar case was being decided at the same time which had similar results, Doe v Bolton. Doe v Bolton has slipped into obscurity. Both cases challenged abortion laws, both in Texas. Roe was an unmarried pregnant woman, while Doe was actually a married couple who had been advised to not conceive a child due to a "neuro-chemical" imbalance. Doe was not actually pregnant, but was challenging the laws in case of failure of contraceptive. The Supreme Court decided that most laws against abortion in the United States violated a constitutional right to privacy under the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The decision overturned all state and federal laws outlawing or restricting abortion that were inconsistent with its holdings.

Being a liberal feminist, I am pro-choice. My feelings on my personal choices have changed significantly in the past 5 years. I am a proud supporter of Planned Parenthood. I whole-heartedly support their "Fill My Pills Now" campaign. This does not mean I am pro-abortion. I worry about the ethics and morality of anyone who thinks that abortion is a "solution" to pregnancy. There are a myriad of options - but I do think abortion should be available as an option.

I have come to the realization that I would never be able to have an abortion as a means of birth control. It would be ethically wrong for a 26yo female with my financial stability and family support to terminate a pregnancy because it was inconvenient. Of course, also being a very educated 26yo female, I also take precautions against being placed in that predicament. If only we all took more precautions... My significant other has two very young nieces who are with child. One is 19. Having a child at 17 caused her to forgo her childhood and grow up rather quickly. However, I am convinced that having the child enriched her life. She is quite possibly the most mature, level headed 19yo I have met. And her child is immersed in so much love - not only from herself, but also from aunts, uncles, grandparents, great grandparents, and great-great grandparents. It's amazing to watch the family dynamic there. The other niece...she just turned 16 and has a lot of growing up to do - and a new baby to support. I worry about her. That being said, I don't think I could plausibly say that either should have had an abortion. It is not my place.

As Roe v Wade turns 35, I do worry about its longevity. Will the constitutional right to a legal abortion survive? I don't know. I know I do fear the consequences of outlawing abortion. Anyone who thinks that abortion will "disappear" if it is made illegal is naive. For those who do, I think you should look at the war on drugs, prostitution, and drunk driving - all illegal, yet still thriving in our society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home