Friday, April 18, 2008

Those Who Can - Do

A fellow pharmacist and supervisor shared some words of wisdom with me this week. When I told him that I had been selected for an interview with the position at SU, he just shook his head. He then told me that I would make a terrible teacher. I took great offense to this and stomped out of his office. I suppose common sense finally kicked in and he realized how callous his comment was. He approached me later that day and told me that he didn't mean his words in the literal sense. I just glared at him. He then said, "Those who can - do; those who can't - teach." I then informed him that I took even greater offense to this comment because teaching is in my blood. My mom spent 33 years of her life shaping the lives of the youth in our community. Her effects are still felt in some individuals' lives. I have had friends tell me that my mom was their inspiration to pursue a teaching degree. I have had friends tell me that my mom's compassion for the underprivelaged has inspired them to contribute back to society. I have had strangers stop me in the store and tell me that my mom changed their lives. Needless to say, my mom's a pretty awesome woman. My Nanny dedicated 41 years of her live to shaping the lives of first graders. She retired to stay at home with me. She shaped my live tremendously. When she passed away 8 years ago, the chapel was filled with former students and coworkers. My mom got her abilities honestly. :) My esteemed coworker then clarified that his comment only applied to those teaching in post-high school institutions. (Nice recovery!) I suppose the glaring darkness in my eyes caused him to further clarify his position. He then blurted out, "You're one of our best pharmacists. I don't want to lose you. I think you would be bored teaching. You give so much to our department and we need to you to keep doing that." Why didn't you just say that in the first place? I have had time to reflect on his comments - especially the insults. I agree with his "those who can" statement - but my belief in that statement ends starkly at the "do". I don't believe those who pursue careers in academia "can't" be pharmacists. Their desires just lie in a different area. I will say that my love in pharmacy comes from the impact I have on my patients' lives. Whether it be a warning about a side effect when I'm counseling a patient - or when I'm making an amiodarone bolus for a code - I am directly affecting the outcome of a patient's life. It's a heavy burden to carry, but I wouldn't want to spend my life doing anything else. It's taken me two years to develop some of the relationships I have with our physicians. Now some of them call the pharmacy and ask for me by name. Talk about a reward! :) So since I can... I think I'll do...and I'll keep doing it at the VA. :)

P.S. - I officially withdrew my name from consideration for the SU position.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

I hope you at least continue to guest lecture and that you also try and develop an intern program where the students are with you only for a rotation. Best of both worlds.

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home