Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Biggest Sell Out

Anyone who remotely knows me personally knows that Buckcherry is my all time favorite band. In 1999, my brother sent me an mp3 from an unknown rock band. He said, "Check these guys out - they remind me of Guns N Roses from their Appetite days." So, I played the mp3 and I was hooked. The mp3 was Buckcherry's "Lit Up." Within a week I had purchsed their self=titled debut album. The following spring (May 2001), my brother called me with the most exciting news - Buckcherry was playing The Preakness kick celebration in Baltimore. I was s-t-o-k-e-d to say the least. We went and they freaking rocked. They were a gritty, pure rock and roll band. There was no glitz and glamor. It was just a bunch of guys with guitars and hard hitting rock music. I fell in love with them all over again. I went back to see them in July 2001 at a bar in Towson, Maryland. My friend and I arrived 2 hours before the show so we could be right up against the stage. We were 2 rows off the stage. It rocked. Again - no glitz, no glamor. At the end of the set, Yogi threw me his pick. It was a great bar show. I acrued every album ever released by the guys. When the band dissolved in 2002, I think I actually cried. I even purchased Josh Todd's solo album - because it still sounded like Buckcherry. Fast forward to Christmas 2005...My brother gave me a Japanese import of the NEW Buckcherry album "15." I had the album 6 months before the US had even heard "Crazy Bitch." Last May, I drove 5 hours to see them in concert in Ohio. It had been 6 years since I had seen them live and I was so excited. Not only did I get to hear them play, but I also met the band and got their autographs. It was awesome!

Then they sold out to the man. I saw them live again in August of last year...and they sucked. Josh Todd acted entirely pissed off to even be on the stage. There was no energy. It was flat. It was a huge disappointment. I am hearing words like "crossover singles" and "appearances on Jay Leno." Holy shit...what happened to the bar show, no glitz, no glamor, pure rock and roll that I loved? Somewhere between "Crazy Bitch" and "Sorry" Buckcherry lost their edge. My God, they're getting play time on Pop radio stations and MTV! My favorite band sold out to the man. *sigh* So - I've decided that it's unhealthy to hold onto them. They can't be what I want them to be anymore. So - I delted their ring tone from my cell phone, downloaded a Papa Roach song, and decided to move on with my life. So - here's to Buckcherry - it was a great 7 years of devotion. I wish you'd get your edge back - maybe one day you will. Goodbye.

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

Damn, you have been back and in force for 3 new post and I did not know it. It is great to see your mind at work again. I guess the continuous freaky sex is over and your brain has come back to the real world.

As for Obama, I am an Obama Boy now. I will post about that later tonight.

Sorry about your boys going main stream and taking the cash and losing their edge. They will eventually break up and do a reunion show and repeat what you remember.

10:36 AM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

HA! :) You crack me up! I am so proud of you converting to Obama. Yay!!! Now you have to vote in the New Mexico primary - and click the box beside Barack Obama! Thank you for your kind words about my boys. It was hard goodbye, but the break had to be made. I'm slowly getting over it. :) I look forward to your posting. Miss ya!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home