Thursday, October 13, 2005

Egghead Gets Served

At the VAC, there are students from three different pharmacy schools. Egghead goes to ABC-U...and every day I'm with him, I become more and more elated that I did NOT choose that university. I guess in all honesty, I should not judge ABC-U by just one student. A new student starts Monday, so I will truly evaluate the school at that time. That aside, Egghead has become more and more annoying. Today was his presentation - which drug on (no pun intended...) for 45 minutes. Even the Director of Pharmacy Services was drooling into his lunch. After lunch, there was yet another IDT meeting - this time involving Unit A. I was a bit apprehensive about the meeting given yesterday's outcomes. The meeting, however, was quite entertaining. Egghead and Ms. Resident (the pharmacy resident) almost got in a fight at the table. Egghead told Ms. Resident that she was not making adequate recommendations and that he should have the patients' charts. Ms. Resident was not happy. (Side note - it is quite evident that Egghead has never worked with the elderly or with patients receiving palliative care. There's a reason it's called "palliative" care...and it's not because they poke and prod you causing you more misery!) Egghead was outraged that these patients were not receiving regular blood sugar checks, Chem-7 panels, and ABGs. What an ass. If I had cancer and was dieing, I'd tell the nurse where to stick the needle. Here's the moment of the day - a snipet of conversation from the IDT meeting:

Egghead - "Well now I'm going to say something that pisses everyone off."
Nurse Manager - "Can't piss me off - I don't prescribe the stuff, I just give it."
Egghead - {arrogant chuckle} "Well, bisacodyl is contraindicated in the elderly unless the patient is receiving long-term opioid therapy. If you would read the Beers Criteria, you would know this."
Nurse Manager - "Patient LMNOP requires a bowel regimen."
Egghead - "Well, I'm recommending D/Cing the bisacodyl."
Nurse Manager - "Ok buddy. When patient LMNOP becomes impacted, I will allow you honors of fixing that problem. Make sure you bring big gloves."
IDT team - {roaring laughter}
Egghead - "...."

HAHAHAHA! Egghead the ass got it right where he deserved it - that is if he understood what "impaction" is...HA!

1 Comments:

Blogger ahsirt said...

Side Note:
Egghead informed the long-term care pharmacist at the VAC that "no one woman has the right to birth control or Plan B." If he gets a prescription for either, he believes he has the RIGHT to refuse it.

I told you he was a pompous ass...

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home