Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Working in Da Hood

This is my week to be in the IV room. It turns out that this is probably the best week I could be in the IV room because CZ is the pharmacist. CZ is pretty cool. He pretty much lets me do whatever I want in the IV room, and he's quite a hoot to work with as well. (Could this be due to his friendship with ROMA?) Yesterday morning I mainly observed the workflow in the IV room. CS, the IV tech, is pretty cool too. She sensed my boredness with observation and let me work in the hood with her on her second set of IVs. The VAC has 3 patients on TPN (total parenteral nutrition), which is apparently an oddity. CZ told me that it may go 6 months and they won't have a TPN patient...now they have three. After observing one TPN being mixed (oh yea, the VAC doesn't have a machine, so everything is mixed by hand), CZ allowed me to pull up the quantities for the second TPN and inject them in the bag. Today - I had to perform the calculations and correctly fill the order. The TPN we made today was for an advanced-stage AIDS patient who has been NPO for almost a month. I made 2 bags for him, one for 0001 and one for 1100 (military time). The 0001 bag contained potassium chloride, sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate, calcium gluconate, regular insulin, amino acids 10%, dextrose 40%, and famotidine. The 1100 bag contained the same plus multivitamins and trace elements. The multivitamins are a bitch - the vial is double stoppered so you have to depress the top stopper to push the second stopper out of the vial. Then you have to be careful not to get a positive pressure in the vial because it will spray yellow, stinky liquid all over you. I sprayed just a little onto the hood and made the whole hood smell. As with my rotation as RW, I feel at home in the hood. I've already decided to spend one of my extra weeks at the VAC back in the IV room in the hood. I never thought I looked much the part of a hood rat...but it fits me well. :-p

5 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

Could you please fix you Robert Byrd Typo. I would have thought someone would have pointed it out by now, but I can no longer take it. While Mr. Byrd may be old, I do not think he is fitting. Fitting is what I am going to be doing if these idiots in NM do not tell me whether or not I passed that damn test.

10:46 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Oh and as for why CZ thinks you are cool. I told him you like to sleep with authority figures, and you like short people.

10:47 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Ok smart ass - typo fixed. (How the hell did I type "fitting" instead of "fighting"???) Good luck on the NM law test...again. :)

PS - You better not have told CZ that!!! The first statement is false and so is the second - must be at least 4 inches taller when I wear heels. So :-p.

6:55 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Oh that's why you are so fond of CF. It all makes sense now. You really do not care for Potter at all, it was just an elaborate ruse to make conversation with CF.

PS Do you want to go to my farewell dinner on Saturday? It will be at 6:15, somewhere in the burg. I do not know where yet they have not told me, but I would love it if you could make it. That way everyone could also say goodbye to U.

11:21 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

CF is waaaaaaaay to tall. I feel like a 2yo standing next to him - which definitely is not a good thing.

PS - I wouldn't miss the dinner for the world. But there is a condition - no goodbyes. I can't handle it.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home