Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Discoveries @ the VAC

Today was riddled with surprises - some pleasant, some not so pleasant. The first discovery came while I was on a Pyxis recovery mission with the Pyxis technician. When we walked through the double doors on 5C, there was a visitor sitting just outside the nursing supervisor's office. It was a cat!!! I was shocked. He was so cute...and then I remembered that I was in a hospital. And then I started asking myself, "what the hell is a cat doing here??" As though she was reading my mind, Pixie the Pyxis tech goes, "Oh I see you meet Mr. Norris!" He is the resident cat on the Alzheimer's nursing home unit. He keeps the residents company and I must say they seemed drawn to him. He loved the attention. They would call out his name and he would go running to them. It was really awesome. The second discovery I made was that the Dom has free food because it is the cafeteria for the inpatient drug rehabilitation unit. No wonder everyone was looking at us yesterday! Not only were we the only females in the area, we were also not in their drug classes. We must've looked like total idiots. At the prospect of free food, DE does not have a problem with this. When I put this with the fact that it smells like my middle school cafeteria, I just don't think I can eat there. DE insisted on eating their today, so I purchased a very nice, freshly made, deli sandwich in the Canteen and took it to the Dom. As I enjoyed my sandwich, I watched her choke down the free fish sandwich. (Somethings just aren't worth being free...) The final discovery of the day was that disrespect of pharmacists exists in the hospital environment also. I was a bit dismayed by this; however at least I didn't have anyone bitching at me because their copay is too high. Sayonara retail!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck at the VAC.. i worked with the wife of the PIC there a few months ago. He came in once to visit her and acted like a real prick! For your sake i hope he adjusts his attitude =)

XYZ sucks man. It just seems to get worse with each passing day. And to think, i thought WalMart was bad . Take care and steer clear of those crazy bastards with machetes. =)

11:29 PM  
Blogger ROMA said...

Why don't you stay in school, get a PHD and teach and do research? If you do not want to be looked down upon, you must have a specialty, and you can not live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and find work.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home