Thursday, October 06, 2005

Mumbles the Pharmacist

Today was a disaster. The only saving grace was that CZ prepared me for this yesterday. Since he works this weekend, CZ was scheduled off today. CS, the IV technician, decided to take the day off as well. She decided to go to Baltimore to see a ScriptPro machine in operation (how dreadfully exciting) because she knew Mumbles was going to be the IV pharmacist today. Mumbles is probably less fun than the ScriptPro machine (and I only say probably because I have never seen a ScriptPro in action). I refer to this pharmacist as Mumbles because he does not open his mouth to talk - he just mumbles inaudibly what he wants to say. I have been making TPN in the hood since Monday - which I realize does not make me an expert. However, I would say that my aseptic technique is superb. This is mainly due to my OCD...but also due to my experience in the classroom, RW, and the past 3 freaking days at the VAC. Mumbles told me to hold the vials directly up and down when withdrawing liquid. I imagine Ms. Peacock would've had a heart attack at this command. (Mrs. Peacock was my sterile lab professor). In a vertical flow hood, the critical area is where the needle hub meets the vial. This area should be exposed to the direct air flow. When the vial is used vertically, the critical area is not exposed. At this point my OCD was in full swing - because not only was the needle hub "compromised", but I was also breaking my needle technique. I felt like a kindergardner in the hood. Mumbles kept mumbling orders in my ear, which is extremely annoying because #1 - I was in the hood trying to concentrate on the needle and #2 - he mumbles and I couldn't hear him over the roar of the hood. Finally, totally fed up, I put the needle down and turned around and said, "Well CZ watched me do this for 3 days and this is how he told me to do it and this is how I am going to do it." This totally pissed Mumbles off. He made some smart ass comment that sounded like, "Oh CZ...blah blah...TPN." As I recapped my needle so I could use a new needle to draw up the next solution, Mumbles screamed at me. I almost rammed the needle in my finger...at this point, I was a little on edge. He reemed me out for no less than 3 minutes about recapping needles. Ok - for the past 3 freaking days, I have been recapping needles. I was actually instructed TO recap needles. I wanted to say, "Well Mumbles, just because you can't f@&king see, doesn't mean I can't." Instead I just glared at him and threw the needle in the sharps container. Then at 11:55AM, we got a STAT order for 1 bag of Nafcillin along with 6 additional bags. Mumbles informed me that I was to stay in the IV room until I finished the order and then I could go to lunch and that he was going to lunch now. GRRRRRRR!!!! I had to find Eeyore (another affectionate name for an odd pharmacist who's paranoia probably classifies him for a room on the psych floor) to check to my bag and math. I hung out in the IV room until Mumbles returned from lunch and then informed him that I was going to lunch. He mumbled, "Well I assumed you would go when you finished this one bag." I said, "Well, I didn't, so I'm going now. See you in 30 minutes." After lunch Flo-Jo brought me some pens from a drug rep. I was in the hood, so she put them on the bench. Believe it or not, Mumbles stole them. Flo-Jo watched the theft and then came back in the room and stuck 2 pens in my pocket. She was pist. I was pist. I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around the inpatient pharmacy, avoiding Mumbles at ALL costs. Thanks a lot CZ!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

Does that guys name start with an A? If so steer clear he is an ass and has many personality problems.

11:22 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Nope...it starts with a J. :)

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home