Monday, January 01, 2007

Goodbye 2006 - Hello 2007

2007 rang in this morning with the usual fireworks and hoopla. As with most things, today felt no different than yesterday. I'm not into the whole "resolution" thing, so I figured instead of planning for the future, I'd reflect on the past today. Below is my list of the top 10 things in my life for 2006.

10. Poison-Cinderella 20th Anniversary Tour
~Concerts are always the highlight of my life. I try to see these guys every time they come around. I've been a fan since I was just a youngin'. Also, it's the one thing that my brother, sister, and I can all do together. We all have different interests and different priorities, but we put them aside when it comes to Poison. HA!

9. Lyme Disease
~I never thought I'd find myself wishing I had Lyme Disease; however when faced with being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, or Lyme disease - Lyme was definitely the pick of the litter. After 28 days of doxycycline, I was "cured" and have been pretty healthy since. All in all, Lyme disease gave me an appreciation for those that are crippled.

8. WVU vs. Marshall
~I was only able to attend one WVU game this season, and I'm glad it was this one. It was the season opener. And even though we didn't become national champs, the thoughts were in the air at this game. It was exciting and energizing.

7. Church
~2006 truly was the year that reaffirmed my faith. It started during Lent season with my neighbor. She held a women's Bible study once a week to discuss important women in the Bible. It was awesome. The feminist in me loved it. My faith truly blossomed, however, when I finally listened to Roma (and Axis) and went to SPC. It's a church filled with love and tolerance and understanding - all the things I value as much as life itself.

6. Democrats Retake Congress
~I looked back on my wishes for 2006 and I believe this headed the list. I guess some wishes really do come true. It was an honor to click the box beside Senator Robert C. Byrd's name (not the WV had any contested Senate seats). It was exciting to watch the news on election night and watch the Dems retake the country state by state.

5. Acceptance to the VA Residency
~It was pretty much VA or bust for my residency choices. I left it up to God and fate. If the VA didn't pick me, I was going to be a retail pharmacist. The day the matches were announced, I was in tears with joy. I'm half way through and I must say, I love the VA. I love working with the vets - it's the joy of my life. Whenever I'm having a bad day or feeling down, all I need to do is walk down the main hallway. I'm greeted by no less than 5 veterans - all of which wish me a good morning. Occassionally, I even get a "you're beautiful." The best is when they say thank you - it melts my heart.

4. Meeting JW
~JW is a 22yo Iraq veteran. I have posted about him several times on here. He truly touched my life when he landed in my counseling booth at the VA. It was the most humbling experience of my life.

3. Meeting Senator Byrd
~If I hadn't ended my academic career this year, this most definitely would've been number 1. It was truly the honor of my life to shake Senator Byrd's hand. He personally autographed his autobiography and addressed it to me. It was awesome.

2. Passing the Pharmacy Boards
~This was definitely a close second. Becoming a licensed pharmacist was the last milestone in my education career. It truly closed the one chapter in my book and opened another.

1. Graduation
~It truly was the highlight of the year to accept my Doctor of Pharmacy degree. To quote the Indigo Girls, "I spent 4 years prostrate to the higher mind, got my paper and I was free." Ok...so it was actually six - and it felt like 12.

3 Comments:

Blogger ROMA said...

All in all it sounds as if your year was pretty good except for number 9 of course. Mrs. Roma went through the same thing after visiting her relatives at a state park in New York. It was funny the Dr. would not diagnosis her with it but I insisted starting Doxy and amazingly things were better and the pain was gone after about 5 days.

Instead of resolutions how about 10 things you hope to see in 2007.

12:18 PM  
Blogger ahsirt said...

Yes, all-in-all my year was pretty good with the exception of #9 and the last month and a half. Slowly, that's getting better (actually very slowly). I'm hoping things settle down soon. I will post my 10 wishes for 2007 as a seperate post - this could take some time.

PS - I'm glad Mrs. Roma has recovered. It took 2 weeks of doxy before the swelling subsided, but after 4 weeks, I was much better! :)

5:33 PM  
Blogger DR. Wiseass said...

Dear One -

Although I don't know you from Adam...or Eve -- I feel compelled to comment about your Lyme treatment & "cure".

As a pharmacist, I'm sure you may be privvy to the IDSA (Infectious Disease Society of America)'s new treatment guidelines for Lyme which are very limiting and quite short-sighted, possibly even fradulent.

In fact, the Connecticut Atty Gen is investigating this medical society for their refusal to consider other clinical & evidence based research that refuted their own. OK, so that's more than what you want to know...blah blah blah.

What you MUST know as a Lyme patient & pharmacist is that 28-day round of doxy may NOT be enough for some (many) patients.

I DO sincerely hope your Lyme disease was caught in the acute stage & that your short round of abx 'cured' it. Please be aware though that Lyme can go into remission, and despite the stupidity spouted by the IDSA - there IS such a diagnosis as CHRONIC LYME DISEASE, and there are medical professionals who actually treat the disease in lieu of sitting around on their fat asses like the IDSA collecting gov't research grants year after year instead of treating the really sick & dying Lyme patients!

For the "other" side - please research the Internatinal Lyme & Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) at www.ilads.org

Also - please know in your career that you will be encountering many a Lyme disease patient - and most likely they will be misdiagnosed with something like Gulf War Syndrome, ALS, Alzheimers, Parkinson's, MS, Lupus, CFS, FMS, and the list goes on for about 300 other possible diagnoses.

Consider the vets you work with, by nature of their employment in the armed services, were exposed to a wide variety of environmental conditions & disease vectors - as well as *normal* pathogens genetically engineered to become more of a biowarfare weapon which is much more difficult to eradicate.

I shall now step off my soapbox - with the final encouragement to consider that your little spell with Lyme disease at the transition between student to bonefide pharmacist just might mean something.

Perhaps there are no coincidences?

Perhaps that experience was an opportunity to open up greater understanding about this disease.

I believe things happen for a reason; and if you can educate yourself about this dreadful disease - perhaps you can guide someone to greater health through your work.

Also - pleasse remember: Lyme disease (suppressed immune system) = NO STEROIDS unless life threatening circumstances.

Wishing you a happy, healthy New Year...and much success & fulfillment on your New Path!

Hugs & Kisses,
DR. Wiseass
-not a real doc, just a real wise ass (with chronic late stage Lyme!)
www.twistoflyme.blogspot.com

3:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home